Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fun Idea for a little Bit of Exercise

Getting a bit of exercise and spending times with friends is always beneficial. It's nice to be able to get out the house and take part in activities that many people can play. Since I was in high school an activity my friends and I enjoy is to play hackey-sack.

If you are unfamiliar with a hackey-sack it is a small, round, sewn bag that is filled with anything from rice to beads to sand. It is meant to make contact with different parts of the body and to have a little bit of bounce to it. It can be played alone or with a large group. By moving around and bending yourself to hit the sack with different partsof your body, gives you a good cardiovascular workout as well as helps to allow the body to become more flexible.

There are many games that can be played while using a hackey-sack. One of my favorites is called elimination. The object of the game is to set a limit within the group and go around the circle. Everyone in the circle must hit the required number of "hacks" if they wish to continue playing and everyone that doesn't is eliminated. My friends and I had an intense round of this one night and got up to about 160 hits. This is a very tiring workout. Please comment if you have any good games that can be played.

Since most people work during the day, here is an idea if you want to get together and play at night. Find a school or business parking lot that leaves their lights on. You can play all night and can usually be as loud as you want because there usually aren't many houses around. This is a bonding time that my friends and I do quite often and recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

Lucky Lou said...

I've been through 3 foot surgeries this year and I have a 7 year old son who loves sports. Unfortunately for me they include soccer, baseball, and basketball. All very hard to do when you have trouble walking! Thanks to his pushing me, I am now able to actually do some of that stuff again. I only wish he would have been more interested in hackey-sack. I might have been able to do it from my sitting position on the couch! Thanks for sharing this!

Bob Tetu said...

Thanks for the tip. That does sound like an easy fun activity. If you like the hacky sack, you might like the mesh bag on a rope that you can put a soccer ball in. This is probably more for outdoors, but you can kick the ball and the elastic cord brings it back. Many soccer coaches recommend them to players to learn how to juggle a soccer ball. It's a lot easier than chasing the ball all over the yard when you are first learning to juggle.